Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What are you all chasing?

This past weekend I ran the 10km race in the 49th Annual Calgary Marathon, and achieved a personal best by five minutes.  I'm quite happy about this time, but I had originally signed up for the half-marathon and changed my distance a month earlier due to lack of training. I can't help but wonder... what if I had actually trained properly for this??

I really admire the people (and there were thousands of them!!) who ran the half and full marathon this weekend. Not only because they ran a bajillion kilometers at 7 am on a Sunday, but because after attempting to train properly for a half, I can really fully appreciate how much time, effort and dedication was put into preparing for their race.


At the start line May 26th, 2013


I had an epiphany today. Yes, I bailed on my half. I didn't train enough. And it would certainly be easy to look at everyone else online and on Facebook and kick myself for being slow or running a shorter distance but I still ran 10 kilometers and I improved my time. And that is something I am celebrating. There is no way I would have even considered running 10 km four years ago.  There's no way I would have ever tried a triathlon ten years ago (which is when I first realized I wanted to do one!). 

My epiphany? I'm kind of awesome and I have come a long way.  I've worked on my goals, one little itty bitty step at a time.  I started off struggling through 2km runs. It took me three years to run what I consider a really good 10k. That's a really long freaking time. 

Before I leave you, I must thank the volunteers and cheerleaders who woke up early and took time out of their day to cheer the runners on! They also made some pretty awesome signs. I must share my favourites with you:
  • Worst. Parade. Ever.
  • May the course be with you.
  • Who needs nipples?
  • What are you all chasing?
  • I ran a marathon once. [Insert grumpy cat pic.] It was awful.
  • Who are all these people following you?
  • I woke up really early to make this sign.

My new goal for the end of the year: Run a half-marathon and actually train for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment